Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Everything needs gold glitter spray paint...

When I saw these wood shapes at Michael's I knew they were begging to be altered with paper and glue. And glitter. Everything needs glitter. GLITTER. EVERYWHERE.

The first step was deciding how to add glitter. Obviously. Using one of my Studio Calico stencils I primed the wood with just some basic cream paint. One coat was good enough!


I then used washi tape to tape off the edges where I didn't want glitter. This is how I am going to use up the 424,901,351 yards of washi tape that I own!


Now for the fun part! Using a big box outside, I placed my project flat on the ground and using straight and study sprays in one direction I added a healthy coat or two (or 6) of Krylon Glitter Spray Paint to my wood base! 


I let the spray paint dry for about 5-6 hours and then I gently peeled off the stencil to reveal THIS! It was love at first sight!! I almost contemplated just stopping here - LOL. There are some traces of cream paint peeking out from behind the glitter, but it is hardly noticeable. I tried to scrape it off gently but that was a bigger hassle and mess than it was worth - so I embraced the imperfection because, after all, this is handmade! 


My next step was to actually use the paper and glue! I chose the Pink Paislee Bella Rouge collection and some sweet garden photos of my nieces taken by Ford Family photography and created a banner to go across my wood base.


The Bella Rouge ephemera pack provided the perfect bits and pieces for my photo display. The card stock butterfly, acetate bow and the acetate "ooh la la" were all from the embellishment pack! I really used up these darling bits on several projects. Ephemera packs are my all time favorite!! 


These rose gold charms from the Bella Rouge line are darling! In order to get the clip on charm to stay in place I stole two small beads from my daughter's collection and slipped them onto either side of my charm by stringing them onto the twine I was using! This may be my favorite part of the banner! I added a few more butterflies and hearts from the ephemera pack and I called it good! 


Thank you for taking a peek! XO.

4 comments:

  1. Love this, Becky! Such a great idea and I love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is freaking brilliant!!!! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning! I love how the woodgrain shows through!

    ReplyDelete